Welcome to the Hickman County High School Guidance Department web page. At H.C.H.S. we have counselors available to assist you in any way that we can. A few of the services we offer are; counseling, scheduling, career planning, planning for college, help with the FAFSA and acquiring financial aid for college or technical school. We make it our goal to help you have a successful experience at HCHS as well as prepare for your future. If we can be of any help to you, feel free to contact us.
- 17-18 Testing Dates:
- October 18 – ASVAB
- October 25, 2017 – PSAT
- March 21, 2018 – Junior ACT
- SENIORS! – Click HERE to check out the Senior Timeline Newsletter! This is full of valuable information for Seniors regarding timelines, filing deadlines, etc.
- Seniors: your first TN Promise meeting is this Friday, October 20 at 1:30 in the auditorium. You will receive your TN Promise handbook and learn about the scholarship and requirements.
- Seniors: The Concrete Association is sponsoring the annual High School Essay Contest for TN. 1st place is $250, 2nd place $100, 3rd place $50. You must be 18 years of age. See Mrs. Saunders for details.
- Seniors, the Scarlett Family Foundation Scholarship –If your major will be in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, or Business, you can apply. The minimum award is $2, 500 a year and the max is $15, 000. See Mrs. Saunders for more details. The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. December 15, 2017.
- SENIORS – TN Promise Service Hour Opportunities
- The Hickman Humane Society needs volunteers for events. For more information see Mrs. Chessor or call HHS toll free number 1866-304-3352.
- Hickman County Public Library- Any Senior needing TN Promise service hours may contact Mary Beth Pruitt at the Hickman Co. Public Library at 729-5130.
- Opportunities for Tennessee Students – TN Dept. of Education
- Seniors and Parents of Seniors…Need FAFSA Help? Scholarship Info?… Contact the Guidance Office or you may go to the links below under Guidance Resources. If you should need more help, you may contact us at anytime.
- Scholarship Experts
- School Soup Scholarship Info
- Go College
- Outside Scholarships
- Playing with Purpose Scholarship
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation
- Geneseo Migrant Center Scholarships for Migrant Students
- Print and Graphics Scholarship Foundation Scholarships
- Society of Women Engineers Scholarship Program
- VFW Auxiliary’s Young American Patriotic Art Contest
- Tennessee Promise
- Tennessee Achieves
- Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation
- FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- How to create FSA ID
|English – 4 credits||Math – 4 credits||Science – 3 credits|
|English 9||Algebra 1||Lab Science|
|English 11||Algebra 2||Chemistry or Physics|
|English 12||Upper Level Math|
|Social Studies-3 credits||Wellness & PE-1 ½ credits||Foreign Language-2 credits|
|Word History||Wellness – 1 credit||Spanish 1|
|Government -½ credit||PE -½ credit||Spanish 2|
|Fine Arts -1 credit||Personal Finance- ½ credit||Elective Focus- 3 credits|
|Art, Theater, Band, General Music, Vocal Music||Personal Finance -½ credit||3 credits in one area(CTE, Math & Science,Fine Arts, ROTC, or Dual Enrollment)|
|Electives – 6 credits|
|6 credits chosen by student|
TERMS TO KNOW
- FAFSA– Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- SAR– Student Aid Report- the report that a student will receive from the federal processor after completing the FAFSA
- EFC– Expected Family Contribution- the student’s ability to pay for college. The EFC is calculated from the information on the FAFSA.
- COA– Cost of Attendance- the estimated cost to attend an institution for one academic year.
- PIN– Personal Identification Number- is required for a student or parent to complete the FAFSA online or correct information from the electronic FAFSA.
- IVW– Institution Verification Worksheet- a worksheet that is required to be completed when a student’s FAFSA record is selected for verification.
- Verification– The process by which the student’s FAFSA information is selected by the federal processor or the institution for an in-depth review of all information that was reported on the FAFSA.