Welcome to the Hickman County High School Guidance Department web page. At H.C.H.S. we have counselors available to assist you in any way that we can. A few of the services we offer are; counseling, scheduling, career planning, planning for college, help with the FAFSA and acquiring financial aid for college or technical school. We make it our goal to help you have a successful experience at HCHS as well as prepare for your future. If we can be of any help to you, feel free to contact us.
Brian Qualls (email@example.com), Craig Shelton (firstname.lastname@example.org), Jennifer Turpin (email@example.com), Amanda Saunders (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 17-18 Testing Dates:
- March 20, 2018 – Junior ACT
- FAFSA Frenzy Night – November 20 – 5:30 p.m.
- Seniors: a new scholarship for $8,000 is available if you live in a mobile home or a close relative does. If you have a close relative that works in the Modular Housing Industry, you could also be eligible. Stop by the guidance for the application.
- Seniors: Hogan Foundation Scholarship is now available – If you have a 3.5 GPA or higher and a 23 or higher on the ACT, please stop by Mrs. Saunders’s office for more details.
- Seniors: The Concrete Association is sponsoring the annual High School Essay Contest for TN. 1st place is $250, 2nd place $100, 3rd place $50. You must be 18 years of age. See Mrs. Saunders for details. Deadline to apply is December 5.
- Seniors, the Scarlett Family Foundation Scholarship –If your major will be in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, or Business, you can apply. The minimum award is $2, 500 a year and the max is $15, 000. See Mrs. Saunders for more details. The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. December 15, 2017.
- SENIORS – TN Promise Service Hour Opportunities
- The Hickman Humane Society needs volunteers for events. For more information see Mrs. Chessor or call HHS toll free number 1866-304-3352.
- Seniors and Parents of Seniors…Need FAFSA Help? Scholarship Info?… Contact the Guidance Office or you may go to the links below under Guidance Resources. If you should need more help, you may contact us at anytime.
- GoodCall Scholarship Search
- Go College
- Outside Scholarships
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation
- Geneseo Migrant Center Scholarships for Migrant Students
- Print and Graphics Scholarship Foundation Scholarships
- Society of Women Engineers Scholarship Program
- VFW Auxiliary’s Young American Patriotic Art Contest
- Tennessee Promise
- Tennessee Achieves
- Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation
- FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- How to create FSA ID
|English – 4 credits||Math – 4 credits||Science – 3 credits|
|English 9||Algebra 1||Lab Science|
|English 11||Algebra 2||Chemistry or Physics|
|English 12||Upper Level Math|
|Social Studies-3 credits||Wellness & PE-1 ½ credits||Foreign Language-2 credits|
|Word History||Wellness – 1 credit||Spanish 1|
|Government -½ credit||PE -½ credit||Spanish 2|
|Fine Arts -1 credit||Personal Finance- ½ credit||Elective Focus- 3 credits|
|Art, Theater, Band, General Music, Vocal Music||Personal Finance -½ credit||3 credits in one area(CTE, Math & Science,Fine Arts, ROTC, or Dual Enrollment)|
|Electives – 6 credits|
|6 credits chosen by student|
TERMS TO KNOW
- FAFSA– Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- SAR– Student Aid Report- the report that a student will receive from the federal processor after completing the FAFSA
- EFC– Expected Family Contribution- the student’s ability to pay for college. The EFC is calculated from the information on the FAFSA.
- COA– Cost of Attendance- the estimated cost to attend an institution for one academic year.
- PIN– Personal Identification Number- is required for a student or parent to complete the FAFSA online or correct information from the electronic FAFSA.
- IVW– Institution Verification Worksheet- a worksheet that is required to be completed when a student’s FAFSA record is selected for verification.
- Verification– The process by which the student’s FAFSA information is selected by the federal processor or the institution for an in-depth review of all information that was reported on the FAFSA.